- Obama: Repeal Bush Tax Cuts for households making over $250,000 a year. Lower taxes on manufacturing jobs. Stimulus spending and tax cuts to grow economy (short term). Cut spending and raise taxes on wealthy to reduce defcit (long term).
- Romney: Make Bush tax cuts permanent. Lower corporate tax rate across the board by 25%. Cut taxes and regulations to encourage growth of business. Cut government spending by 5%.
- Obama: Signed the 2010 Obamacare Bill. Calls for patient protections like allowing coverage for pre-existing conditions, not letting insurers cancel policies when patients get sick and requiring individuals to buy health insurance or pay a fine.
- Romney: Created similar healthcare program in Massachusetts where he was governor. Now, he wants to repeal Obamacare. Encourage people to buy own healthcare, allowing insurance coverage across state lines.
- Obama: Supports a path of legalization for illegal immigrants like learning English & paying fines, while toughening policies to hire illegal immigrants. Voted for fence along the border. Issued executive order to not deport certain undocumented immigrants.
- Romney: Make English the official US language. Turn off the magnets like tuition breaks or other breaks that draw people into this country illegally.
- Obama: Publicly opposed to military intervention, but recently admitted to expanding Afghan conflict into Pakistan. Says congressional approval isn’t needed if U.N. approves.
- Romney: Consult with lawyers on legality but believes President has the right to do whatever he believes will make the country safer.
- Obama: Engage in direct diplomacy; tighten economic sanctions with international cooperation; military option not off the table. Failed to deliver on 2008 campaign promise to meet with the Iranian president without preconditions.
- Romney: Military option not off the table.
Global Warming and Enviornment
- Obama: Supports cap and trade to reduce carbon emissions. Will not agree to Keystone Pipeline that would come from Canada and the use of Federal lands to get oil.
- Romney: Wants the Keystone Pipeline. 20 billion dollar package for energy research and new car technology.
- Obama: Agrees to same-sex marriages. Asked congress to repeal “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” allowing gays to openly serve in the military.
- Romney: Opposes same sex marriage. Supports legal unions. Supports “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” but favors gays serving in the military. Supported a ban on anti-gay employer discrimination.
- Obama: Supports Roe v Wade. Criticized Supreme Court decision that upheld ban on partial-birth abortions.
- Romney: Pro life. Opposes Roe v. Wade.
Senior Staff Writer
Mitt Romney on Religion
“In that line that says we are endowed by our creator with our rights. I believe we must maintain our commitment to religious tolerance and religious freedom in this country. That statement also says that we are endowed by our creator to pursue happiness as we choose. I interpret that as one: making sure that those who are less fortunate and cannot care for themselves are cared for by one another. We are a nation that believes we are all children of one god.”
For the Atheists, the Deists, the Agnostics, the Polytheists, and other intelligent Monotheists, we do not agree on what god we are all a child of, or even if there is a god for us to be of, at all. We, as a nation, were not to be religiously cohesive. Look to our creators of our philosophical principles, or some of our more famous founding fathers. Look to the first amendment. (Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and much of the enlightenment philosophers.) To imply that Romney’s campaign should have some degree of religious significance is an insult to us, and a subversion of what American Politics are/were meant to be.
As far as everything else goes, I could dismantle Romney step by step, or I could drop this link:
Senior Staff Writer
Go to the “Politics” section of our website for more election coverage and articles by Pennie Hull and Scott Doyle.